The Friends of the Edington Hospital, North Berwick

The Edington Hospital, North Berwick

Home

About Us

News

How We've Helped

Edington Hospital

Who are the Friends?

How to Donate

The Edington Hospital, North Berwick
  

Construction of the Hospital was made possible by a bequest from Miss Elizabeth Edington of Ethandune, Dirleton Court, North Berwick. Building work commenced in 1912 and the Hospital was officially opened in 1913.

The hospital was formally taken over on the formation of the NHS and, today, it is run as an NHS hospital by Lothian Health Board. The hospital has nine beds and provides medical care for a range of chronic conditions, mobility problems, respite and end of life care. The hospital also operates a minor injuries department.

There are 10 nursing staff, 8 clinical support staff and 4 domestic staff. Some staff are part time.
       

The Edington Hospital

The hospital is attached to the local medical centre and is able to function because of the cooperation of the local GPs who supervise the treatment of patients and provide support to the nursing staff.

The hospital treats around 130 inpatients each year and about 1500 minor injury cases.